Choosing an HVAC Contractor: A Few Helpful Tips

A Few Helpful Tips for Choosing an HVAC Contractor

Whether you are having a new HVAC system installed for your home, you need to have the system currently installed in your home repaired, or you simply want your system properly maintained with a furnace and air conditioner tune up, one of the key tasks that you need to undertake is to find a reliable HVAC contractor. Here are some tips that can help make choosing an HVAC contractor easier:

Get recommendations

If you have not worked with an HVAC contractor you trust, the first thing that you will need to do is to get recommendations from your circle, including your friends, relatives, co-workers and neighbors. Their experience with a particular contractor operating in Concord, CA can provide you with insight into the quality of the contractor's work. Alternatively, you can go online and search for HVAC contractors who operate where you live.

Ask for referrals

Once you have created your shortlist of potential HVAC contractors to choose from, the next thing that you need to do is to ask for references from each company. Reputable heating and air companies will not shy away from providing these to potential clients. Once you have received the references, call each one and inquire about the quality of work of each contractor as well as other questions you may have, including the costs. This is most important for big investment like home performance jobs or HVAC replacement.

Check for credentials

Many of the reliable HVAC contractors in Contra Costa and the Tri Valley area belong to reputable professional organizations including the Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA) or Local Chamber of Commerce. The company's HVAC technicians should also have certifications and partnerships with Energy Star and the North American Technician Excellence (NATE). Membership in these organizations along with these certifications ensure that the company's technicians adhere to the highest standards of work.

Home Evaluations

If a contractor provides you with a cost estimate without even visiting and inspecting your home, move to the other contractor on your shortlist. As a consumer we understand you want a ballpark price over the phone. However we encourage you to take the time to schedule a free in-home estimate. There are many variables in changing out your Air Conditioner and Furnace. Equipment has evolved over the last ten years as well as efficiency ratings. A reputable contractor will first conduct an evaluation of the current system in your home before making recommendations about the appropriate heating and cooling system to replace it. This evaluation should include checking your home's insulation, duct system, and airflow. The contractor should also inquire about problems you may have been experiencing with your HVAC system.

Compare Estimates

In order to compare each contractor on an apples-to-apples basis, request written and itemized estimates. Ideally, these bids or proposals should include cost, warranties, and potential energy savings. The worst thing that you can do is to select a contractor based solely on the lowest price. When it comes to being a homeowner, you probably know, you get what you pay for.

Seal the deal

Once you have chosen a contractor from your shortlist, make sure that you sign a written proposal before work commences. A contract will protect you and ensure that the job is completed under the agreed-upon timelines and at the agreed-upon costs. The contract should also include information about the warranty of the work to be conducted. As a trusted and reputable HVAC company in Contra Costa and the Tri Valley area, Hometown Heating and Air Conditioning is happy to consult with you regarding the replacement of your HVAC system. We understand choosing an HVAC contractor can be tough which is why we assure your 100% satisfaction.
Recommended Posts
Showing 34 comments
    Dan Moller

Wow, I never knew that HVAC contractors offer free in-home estimations, it’s great that they’ll conduct an evaluation first before making any recommendations. It’ll be good for the consumers since we’ll have a chance to think before making any deals. It’s a great tip about what you said to get multiple contractors to estimate your home and compare their offer. I’ll be sure to share this with my partner since our system has always been acting up, we wanted to have it replaced.

Marina Wellis

I like your suggestion of asking a few friends, family, or neighbors regarding contractors that they have previously worked with and recommend. There’s a problem with our furnace, and my mom was worried that one of these days it might break down completely. I know that it will benefit all of us to get a contractor check on it as soon as possible. Thanks!

Gloria Durst

I agree that you need to consider the estimates of an HVAC contractor. Getting several and comparing them is also a helpful tip. My sister needs someone to fix her heating system, so she’ll have to find someone who charges a good price.

Bobby Saint

I couldn’t agree more when you mentioned asking for referrals first before hiring the services of an HVAC contractor. You may want to ask for a list of the company’s previous clients to check for some reviews and feedback. This way, you would more or less have an idea if the contractor is indeed the best choice for you, too. If you receive mostly positive feedback, then chances are, the contractor is indeed reputable. If I were to hire one, I would make sure to keep this in mind. Thanks.

Amanda Drew

Thanks for pointing out that it’s good if an HVAC company is certified with the North American Technician Excellence and Energy Star. My air conditioner makes a loud whining noise whenever I turn it on, and it is a bit alarming. I’ll have to find an air conditioner repair company who is affiliated with NATE and Energy Star.

Margarita Samson

I like that you talked about how you can ask for references from the heating contractor that you’re interested in so you can ask its past clients about the quality of the contractor’s work. My parents bought a new house, and they’re looking to hire a heating contractor to install their new heating system in it. It’s important for them to only hire a company that has a proven record of satisfied clients to ensure that they’ll also be able to get the best services. I will make sure to share your blog with them so they can get some tips.

Derek Dewitt

My wife and I are wanting to get a new AC unit this spring, but we aren’t sure where to start when it comes to hiring a contractor. I like that you suggest asking for references from each company when looking for potential contractors. Hearing about the experiences of others who have hired the company in the past would make me feel much more confident about my choice. Thanks for sharing!

Latoya Anderson

Your statement about how you should consider contacting the references of each HVAC company that you’re interested in to get an information about the quality of their work caught my attention. My husband and I bought a new HVAC system which we are planning to install. We want to find an HVAC company that we can be sure of giving us the best service since our HVAC system is one of the most expensive appliances in our house. This is why it will surely help us find a reputable company if we can talk to their previous clients. Thanks for sharing all your tips.

Ellen Hughes

It sure was nice that you suggested contacting the past clients of the HVAC contractor that you’re interested in so you can ask them about the quality of the works of the HVAC contractor that they have hired. My husband and I are looking to install a new heating system. It’s our goal to ensure an efficient heating installation because we want our new furnace to last for a long time. We’ll make sure to consider choosing an HVAC contractor that has a good track record of happy clients in the past.

Sharon Wilson-Smith

It sure was nice that you suggested asking recommendations from your friends, relatives, and co-workers in finding an HVAC contractor that has done quality services. Our HVAC system needs to be repaired ASAP. What I want is to make sure that the HVAC repair company that I will choose can deliver effective repairs because I don’t want to encounter the same problem again. I will make sure to ask around to gather references to the best HVAC repair company.

Ava Murphy

I found it helpful when you said that asking your friends, relatives, and co-workers can help you to get recommendations for an HVAC contractor that can provide quality services. Our boiler has been acting up since last week, and it has been making strange noises. We rely on it for many reasons, so it’s important for us to find an HVAC contractor that can replace it. We want to hire a boiler installer that’s known for delivering efficient installation services, so we’ll make sure to gather references.

Ellen Hughes

It sure was helpful when you said that contacting the past clients of an HVAC contractor can help you to determine the quality of their works. My husband is interested in hiring an HVAC repair contractor because our heating unit has been acting up since last night. He said that he wanted to ensure that the job is going to be done right the first time because he doesn’t want to deal with the same heating issues in the future. Thanks!

Zia Murphy

You made a good point when you said that asking your friends, relatives, and co-workers can help you to find an HVAC contractor that you can put your trust in. We’re planning to replace our old HVAC unit. What we want is to hire an HVAC company that’s known for installing HVAC units efficiently because we want our new HVAC system to work optimally for a long time. I’ll make sure to consider all your tips.

Vianne Simpson

I found it helpful when you said that getting recommendations from your friends, relatives, and co-workers can help you to find an HVAC contractor that can provide quality jobs. My husband and I are planning to replace the HVAC unit in the commercial property that we’re planning to sell. We have never used it, so we want to sell it at the right price. Since we have never hired a commercial HVAC contractor, we’ll make sure to ask around to gather references.

Ana Smith

I like that you talked about how you should call the past clients of the HVAC contractor that you’re interested in so you can ask them about the quality of the services that they were provided with. Our HVAC unit needs to be repaired as soon as possible. We wanted to ensure an effective repair for it because we don’t want it to break anytime soon, so we’ll find an HVAC contractor that has a good track record of excellent repairs.

Xena Smith Samson

You got my attention when you said that the most reputable HVAC companies won’t hesitate to share with you their past references that you can talk to about the quality of their works. My husband is looking to install a new air conditioning unit. What he wants is to find an AC installer that has a good track record of satisfied clients in the past because of their best practices in AC installation jobs.

Easton Memmott

I really liked your tip to ask around for referrals to an hvac contractor. I need one to help me with my plumbing, and I want to be sure that I find one who is very good. I will be sure to ask my neighbors and friends if they have any referrals they can get to me.

Lovely Smioth

I like that you said that your friends, relatives, and co-workers can provide you the information about the quality of the works of the HVAC contractor that they may have worked with. My son said that his heating unit in his house needs to be repaired. He said that he doesn’t want the same furnace issues again, so he’d like to find an HVAC contractor that’s most recommended because of effective repairs.

Lavinia Smith

I found it helpful when you said that by calling the references of the HVAC contractor that you’re interested in, you can easily inquire about the quality of works of the HVAC contractor that they hired. We are looking forward to repairing our AC unit at home. We want to get an assurance that our AC issue won’t reoccur for months to come, so we only wanted to work with an HVAC company that has happy clients because of their effective repairs.

Easton Memmott

I really appreciated your tip to check your contractor’s credentials to make sure they are certified and qualified to work for you. I need to hire someone to install a new heating system in my home. I will be sure to check my contractor’s credentials before I hire them for a job. http://protexrs.com

Lavinia Smith

I found it helpful when you said that you can ask your friends, relatives, and co-workers for recommendations for a good HVAC contractor that you can hire. My supervisor at work is looking to have the commercial AC installed in the office repaired. He said that he is clueless where he should start searching for a trustworthy commercial air conditioning repair company to ensure an effective repair, so I’ll share your blog with him.

Kiara Woodsland

My favorite part of your blog is when you said that you can ask your friends, relatives, co-workers, and neighbors for recommendations for a good HVAC contractor that you can trust for quality works. Our heating and air conditioning unit has been acting up since last night. To be honest, this is the first time that our HVAC unit needs to be repaired, so I don’t know what HVAC company should I hire. I will make sure to ask around to find the best HVAC company.

Orietta Anderson

I found it helpful when you said that you can ask your relatives, friends, and neighbors for a recommendation to an HVAC contractor if you have never worked with an HVAC contractor in the past. Our furnace needs some maintenance services, so we’re interested in finding a trustworthy heating contractor. We wanted to make sure that we will only deal with an HVAC contractor that has a good reputation for excellent services, so we’ll make sure to ask around.

Laluna Smith

I agree that the most reputable HVAC companies won’t hesitate to provide you the references to their past clients that you can talk to about the quality of their works. Our HVAC unit at home has been having issues since the other night. We’d like to make sure that all its issues are going to be addressed in the most effective way because we don’t want it to stop working again. We’ll make sure to find an HVAC contractor that has a lot of happy clients.

Olivia Nelson

I appreciate that you talked about how you can contact the past references of the HVAC contractor that you’re interested in to have an idea about the quality of their works. This is something that I will make sure to remember because I’m interested in hiring an HVAC contractor that offers ductwork installation services. What I want is to make sure that our new ductwork is going to work optimally for a long time, so I’d like to find an expert HVAC contractor.

Lucy Tuazon

I’m a single mom and I don’t have any experience in maintaining our HVAC system other than cleaning and changing the filters. I recommend asking for customer references, it would show what kind of company they are and the quality of the service they provide. Thanks for the great tips!

Sharon Wilson-Smith

Of all the tips that you shared, my favorite part is when you said that you can ask your relatives, friends, and neighbors for a recommendation for an HVAC company that can deliver quality works. The heating unit that we have at home needs some maintenance services. It’s important for me to find an HVAC contractor that is known for providing services that are efficient because I don’t want our furnace to act up at any given time.

Easton Memmott

I like the tip that you gave to ask your family and friends for referrals on who to hire as your HVAC contractor. My wife wants to get our air conditioning fixed before our home gets too warm, and it is important to us that they are reliable. I will be sure to ask my family and friends for referrals, so I can be confident in their abilities as I hire them.

Easton Memmott

I like the tip that you gave to ask your family and friends if they know of an HVAC contractor who they would refer you to. My wife and I are looking for a reputable contractor to service our furnace before we start using it this winter, and we want to be confident in deciding to hire them. I will be sure to ask my family and friends if they know a contractor to refer us to, so we can know that we can trust them.

Easton Memmott

I like the tip that you gave to ask your family and friends for referrals on who you should hire as your HVAC contractor. My furnace needs to be cleaned out before we use it this season, and my wife wants to get it reliably cleaned as soon as possible. I will be sure to ask my family and friends for referrals on who I should hire, so we can trust that we have hired a reputable contractor.

Easton Memmott

I like the tip that you gave to choose an HVAC contractor who is referred to you by your family or friends. I need to get a new air conditioning system, and I want to hire a reputable contractor to install it. I will be sure to ask my family and friends for a referral, so I can be confident that they will be a good hire.

Easton Memmott

I like the tip that you gave to ask for referrals on who you should hire as your HVAC contractor. My wife and I are looking to hire someone to repair our furnace before it gets too cold, and it is important for us to be able to trust who we hire. I will be sure to look for a referral on who I should hire, so I can be confident that they will meet our needs.

Easton Memmott

I like the tip that you gave to ask your family and friends to refer you to a reputable contractor. My wife and I are looking to hire someone to clean our furnace before we need to start using it this winter, and it is important for us to be able to trust their work. I will be sure to look for referrals, so we can be confident in our decision to hire them.

Jeff Wilcox

I like the tip that you gave to choose an HVAC contractor who is referred to you. My wife and I have been talking about finding a contractor to help us if we were to get our air conditioning repaired soon, and it would be important for us to know that we could find a contractor who we could trust in. If we decide to find a contractor, I will be sure to look for referrals from my family and friends.